Welcome to the GRAMPS for Windows project.
This project is for the creation of windows installation solutions for GRAMPS, an open source software project for genealogy. Despite recent advances there is still a lack of clean installation solutions for windows users. Developers which wished to support the windows community had to release their solutions on their own sites with no coordination. This project hopes to resolve these issues. Hopefully the development pace will be rapid with quick changes and test releases.
This project is not a fork of GRAMPS. Our only focus is on the windows installation solutions for GRAMPS. Something the main developers have been open to and encouraged but not motivated to do on their own. It is hoped that after we create solid installers with solid best practices for building and installing that we can merge these solutions into the main GRAMPS code and release cycle.
There are four main solutions we hope to solve for GRAMPS windows users.
- Traditional binary installation
- A compiled version of GRAMPS with all dependencies compiled with it. No other dependencies should be required. Installs in the traditional windows manner with file associations, Start Menu, etc.
- Portable installation
- A portable version of the binary intended for installation on portable devices (USB, MP3 Players, etc). No settings or setup should be installed on the computer hosts.
- PortableApps installation
- Very similar to the portable version but with additional support for the PortableApps platform.
- Source and build environment setup
- This solution should only be intended for developers and advanced users that want to run bleeding edge code.
Other Windows solutions for GRAMPS History.
Bug Tracker Used for to do items and feature requests as well.
Please do not start editing the GRAMPS Wiki to be in line with these solutions. These solutions are still very much in flux and are not yet ready for main stream use. That wiki documents the current best practices for installation. This wiki documents how we in vision it to be.
Currently running our first beta. It should be fairly solid and work but isn't extensively tested. Do not trust your data to it yet. Backup! There are a few misc things that could be cleaned up but nothing that should effect the user. Right now we really need users to download it, try it out, and provide feedback. Also, developers to try the source building steps. Some things of note.
- tying into NSIS's built in languages allows the installer to be 90% translated into over 50 languages! Even many translations of the copyright notice have been provided. Unfortunately that last %10 hasn't been done for any languages other than English.
- No other dependencies are required. Additional Recommended Software can be installed but isn't required. (These are applications with their own uses outside of GRAMPS and not libraries which is why they are not bundled).
- a versioned install means data should be safer on upgrades.
--Fuzzyfonzy 05:54, 27 April 2009 (UTC)
- April 26, 2009 - First Beta!
- gramps-3.1.1-4win-0.3 is finally here. Give it a test run...