So, what is GoPenS? GoPenS an OpenSource GPS for Android phones based on OpenStreetMap (OSM). OpenStreetMap is a collaborative map of the world. Therefore, one of the main functions of our application will be to be able to record a trace and send it as a GPX to the OSM servers, and so edit the OSM Map. Beside that it works like any other GPS, you can display POIs (points of interests), you can calculate an itinerary, or just browse a map.
Keep in mind that the project is still a work in progres, and that changes may be occurring.
The main menu contains 5 parts :
- Return to the actual position
- Clicking on this button will display the user current position on the map from it's GPS coordinates at that instant. For example, if the user scrolled around the map and wants to return to it's location he just needs to use this function.
- Close Application
- Will close the application, bring you back to the main phone menu and stop the GPS tracker on the phone.
- To enable the navigation mode and so disable the scroll or choose an itinerary.
- GPS trace
- To update the OSM servers as explain in the introduction.
- Manage the different logins.
- Display POIs
- Display the Points of Interest (Restaurant, Parking, Stadium...)
- Enable Navigation
- If clicked, will lock the view at your current position and enable the compass. Will also disable the scroll.
- Create route
- Let you choose a start point and a destination. The start point can be your current position. To choose those points, we implemented a search engine, just enter a city name and choose between the choices given to you by he search engine. Then fill in your preferences (by car, bycicle, foot, the fastest, the quickest...) It will then give you the time and kilometers of your route. and display it on the map. Informations about which direction to take are display on the top left corner of the screen (turn, left, right... in 200m, 150m..). We have also implemented the TextToSpeach which will read out loud those informations.
- Enable Trace
- Start recording your GPS coordinates, one point every second, and so, built a trace in a GPX format. It saves this file in the phone's SD Card.
- Send trace file to server
- Send a chosen GPX file from the SD Card to the OSM server, using the logins set in the setting menu, or any login entered in the upload form.
- Open Street Map Connexion
- Save new login and password for OSM in the 'conf.txt' file in the phone's SD Card. This file contains all the login and passwords saved in the settings menu. For now it contains only the OSM ones, but it will shortly contains the ones for the LocaliseTesPotes function along side with the server address.
The 'conf.txt' file is located at '/sdcard/conf.txt'. Here's an example of the 'conf.txt' file :
#OSMLogin #Tue Mar 09 14:10:23 Europe/Paris 2010 OSMLogin=Gopens #OSMPassword #Tue Mar 09 14:10:23 Europe/Paris 2010 OSMPassword=gopens
Choose Which POIs to display on the map using the radio button. The POIs are display with a radius os 2,5 km around the central position display on the screen. You can physically be in Paris and display the POIs around Marseille. Choose 'None' to clean the screen from all the POIs.