Download latest stable release
a screenshot showing version 0.10 - see more screenshots
FreeCAD is a general purpose Open Source 3D CAD/MCAD/CAx/CAE/PLM modeler, aimed directly at mechanical engineering and product design but also fits in a wider range of uses around engineering, such as architecture or other engineering specialties. It is a feature-based parametric modeler with a modular software architecture which makes it easy to provide additional functionality without modifying the core system.
FreeCAD is based on OpenCasCade, a powerful geometry kernel, features an Open Inventor-compliant 3D scene representation model provided by the Coin 3D library, and a broad python API. The interface is built with Qt. FreeCAD runs exactly the same way on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux platforms.
- OpenCasCade-based geometry kernel allowing complex 3D operations on complex shape types, and supports natively concepts like brep, nurbs, booleans operations or fillets
- python scripts or self-recorded macros
- fully programmed in python
- geometry creation and transformation, the 2D or 3D representation of that geometry (scenegraph) or even the FreeCAD interface
- STEP, IGES, OBJ, DXF, SVG or U3D
- Sketcher with constraint-solver, allowing to sketch geometry-constrained 2D shapes
- Drawing sheets module that permit to put 2D views of your 3D models on a sheet
- Robot simulation module that allows to study robot movements
- Rendering module that can export 3D objects for rendering with external renderers
About the development
Check the Development roadmap for news about what is being planned, the Changelog and Roadmap mantis pages to see the progresses towards next release, or the Project statistics for even more information about the FreeCAD codebase.
FreeCAD uses cMake, subversion link: https://free-cad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/free-cad/trunk
FreeCAD would benefit greatly from your help with testing and reporting bugs! Another problem we have, is lack of people to build and test FreeCAD on Mac OSX. If you have a mac, please help us! You are also welcome to help translating FreeCAD in your language.