FOSDEM MAEMO Project
Project page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fosdem-maemo/
FOSDEM (Free & Open Source software Developers European Meeting) is a free and non-commercial event organized by the community for the community. The goal is to provide Free Software and Open Source developers and communities a place to meet to:
- get in touch with other developers and projects;
- be informed about the latest developments in the Free Software and Open Source world;
- attend interesting talks and presentations held in large conference rooms by Free Software and Open Source project leaders and committers on various topics; and
- to promote the development and the benefits of Free Software and Open Source solutions.
FOSDEM meetings are recognized as "The best Free Software and Open Source events in Europe".
FOSDEM organizers were looking for volunteers to develop a FOSDEM schedule-application for various platforms. Ixonos has volunteered to develop the FOSDEM Schedule application for Maemo devices and our proposal was accepted by the FOSDEM organizers.
Ixonos (http://www.ixonos.com) is an ICT services company creating innovative solutions for mobility, social media and digital services. Together with our customers we develop products and services which let people enjoy inspiring digital experience, anyplace, anytime.
We have a solid experience in developing software for Nokia Maemo open platform.
High Level requirements
This application will have the following features: (all off-line)
- list all FOSDEM activities using different Views:
- Daily view
- Grouped by activity types
- My Favorites
- show the details/abstract of an activity
- select Favorites so you can find your selection back easily
- clearly display overlapping events in the Favorites list by the special color code or other visual means
- search for activities based on strings in the title/abstract, on tags, on speaker name, on activity category, on room number/name
- find the right room easily using a map
- alert you when your favorite activity start (probably, shall be done by the standard Calendar application)
- update the list of lectures trough the web
- schedule data: in XML format
- create a calendar event (with optional alarm) from the selected conference event and push it to the device Calendar app
- shall run at least on Nokia N800, N810 and N900 Internet Tablets
FOSDEM 2010 Programme Events
There will be six types of activities on FOSDEM 2010:
- Main Track Talks (in several categories)
- Distribution miniconfs
- Lightning Talks
Key speech given by a recognized expert
Main Track Talk
The goal of the main tracks is to host high-quality seminars for a broad and technical audience. Every track is organized around a theme (security, kernel, collaboration, ...) and contains 3 seminars. The main tracks are held in the two biggest rooms, giving a seat to 550 and 1400 visitors.
A devroom is a room in which projects can organize their own schedule made of presentations, brainstorming and hacking sessions. Our goal is to stimulate developer collaboration and cross-pollination between projects, and as such we strongly favor projects with similar goals and domains to host a devroom together.
The idea is that rather than having several distributions with their own respective and individual Developer Room, we will host mixed conference rooms where talks and sessions will be organized by topic, with contributors from all distributions attending and participating.
Every free or open source project can apply for giving a lightning talk at FOSDEM. The goal is to offer all the projects that do not fit in a specific main track or devroom the opportunity to speak. During exactly 15 minutes, one person gets to present the project or any aspect of it. All the lightning talks happen in a large room that can host up to 300 people.
FOSDEM offers stands in the hallways to projects that want to present themselves to the visitors in a more personal fashion. Stands can be used to share information, demo software, sell merchandising, give away goodies and so forth.