BibDesk is a graphical bibliography manager for OS X, providing powerful BibTeX file management for Mac users. It is free and open-source. It is under active development by a small group of volunteer contributors and more are always welcome.
Have a question?
See BibDesk in Action
See how everyone's using BibDesk, and share your own BibDesk habits:
Check out one of these screencasts to see some of the ways BibDesk makes managing your reference database easy:
Some tutorials written by users:
A mini-tutorial on getting started with BibDesk:
A short tutorial on how to use BibDesk:
What else does it do?
- Drag and drop or copy and paste references from the web and other files
- Open reference files from PubMed directly
- Edit and search your reference database with ease
- Keep PDF copies of papers filed automatically
- Import references in many formats: RIS, Pubmed, Refer, MARC
- Search online databases directly from within BibDesk
- many public libraries using Z39.50
- Browse Web databases within BibDesk and import data
- Integrated web browser - see the Web group in the left-hand source list
- Supports Google Scholar, ACM DL, Hubmed and more
- Powerful scripting
- rich AppleScript support
- script groups and input filters
- Keep organized with keywords and smart groups
- Use autocomplete in LaTeX editors for your cite-keys.
- Format Citations for Editors like Microsoft Word, Pages, and TextEdit.
Below are archived pages from the website. They are to be replaced by Wiki pages.
- Managing Bibliographies
- Export to many useful formats and import too.
- Find the right citation
- Integrates well with LaTeX editors
The current release of BibDesk requires Mac OS X version 10.5 or higher. Both PPC and Intel are supported.
Older releases of BibDesk are available (unsupported) that run on previous versions of OS X:
- BibDesk version 1.3.22 is the last release compatible with Mac OS X version 10.4.11.
- BibDesk version 1.2.11 is the last release compatible with Mac OS X version 10.3.9.
- BibDesk version 1.1.8 is the last release compatible with Mac OS X version 10.2.8.
See the BibDesk main page for download links and release notes.
The most current version's User Manual is available. This is the same information that's available from the Help menu inside BibDesk.
What's on the Wiki
- BibDesk Applescripts to extend functionality
- Other Applications that extend functionality
- BibDesk Search Groups to search Z39.50, Entrez (PubMed), Web of Science, or DBLP databases
- Searching the Web
- Templates to customize export, preview, and more
- Users List
- Tips and Tricks hidden features
- Developer Information
- BibDesk Localization
- Bug Reporting Guidelines
About the Wiki
A SourceForge.net user account is required to edit pages, and you need sufficient permissions with the Wiki. This is necessary to avoid regrettable wiki spam. Email an administrator (e.g. Mike) noting your SourceForge user name. You will get edit permissions as long as you're not a robot, you may even get them if you are a friendly robot.
BibDesk is a community project, and wouldn't be nearly as good without people pitching in to help code, test, and write documentation. Thanks to all our Contributors!