Wiki for adx - microformat enabled addressbook in xml
This wiki is for documentation of adx
You can find here information how adx works, tips and tricks, etc.
What is adx?
adx (addressbook.xml) is a simple but massively web enabled address book in your web browser (no server components needed).
Supported Accounts: Skype, LinkedIn, Facebook, Xing, ebay, Flickr, Picasa, YouTube, MySpace, Twitter, Soup, ICQ, AIM, YIM, MSNIM, Jabber, Picasa, Google, GoogleCode, Spin.de, last.fm, SourceForge, DeviantArt, identi.ca, bebo, studiVZ, lokalisten, rememberthemilk, qype.com, brightkite.com, hi5.com, quarterlife.com, amiestreet.com, hellotxt, etc.
Getting started with adx
- Download and unzip latest adx zip file from SourceForge
- Load addressbook.xml in a web browser
- Click on the entries to expand details
- Most entries in contact details are clickable (e.g. direct calling phone numbers via Skype, address lookup in Google Maps, etc.)
To add contacts just edit addressbook.xml in a text editor of your choice
- Contacts can be imported from websites with hCards via adxImporter
- Export to vCard via Firefox addons like Operator or Tails Export
- Android phones can import easily vCard contacts (Android >= 2.1). Go to contacts in your phone and press 'menu' where you can find an import functionality from your SDCard (e.g. in 'options').
- Thunderbird (version 16 as of now) has several issues on importing vCard data. The Thunderbird extension MoreFunctionsForAddressBook imports vCards much better.
You can also create a XSLT document to export the contacts to the format of your choice.
Tested web browser
- Opera 9+
- Safari 3+
- IE 6+
- Chrome/Chromium (see known issue below)
Chrome/Chromium 5+ works by default only online (but not locally)
- Reason: Chrome's more restrictive security model.
- Workaround: Start Chrome with cmd line param "--allow-file-access-from-files"
Workaround for Windows
Add needed command line parameter in Chrome shortcut:
- search in start menu for "Chrome", right click and select "Properties"
- Add parameter " --allow-file-access-from-files" to Target
- Press OK. That's it.
Workaround for Chromium in Ubuntu
Following was tested with Ubuntu 11.10 under Gnome 3.
Add needed command line parameter in file
- Load file in browser. E.g. open a terminal window and enter
sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop
- Replace in text editor "
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium-browser %U" with "
Exec=/usr/bin/chromium-browser --allow-file-access-from-files %U"
Attention: This option is applied to all chromium instances started inside Gnome desktop. If you have security concerns you should start chromium directly from terminal with command line parameter "--allow-file-access-from-files".
Integrate adx in browser search
You can register adx as browser search engine. Add a url template like following consisting of your addressbook.xml (works online and offline). "%s" will be replaced by your search term. Examples:
You need to replace the path to your addressbook.xml (works online and offline).
Integrate adx in browser search: Chrome/Chromium
In Chrome this can be added very easy in Preferences -> Manage Search Engines.
Integrate adx in browser search: Firefox
Firefox integration can be done via a bookmark with above url pattern. Important is to apply a keyword for the bookmark (e.g. "adx") in order to call it from the url bar:
Once added as bookmark (here with keyword "adx") you can search from the address bar:
There are two types of settings:
- permanent settings in XSL File (adx2html_phonelist.xsl)
- URL parameters
For details see below.
Cookies or similar technology is not used at all.
Settings in XSL File (adx2html_phonelist.xsl)
Search for "User settings" in adx2html_phonelist.xsl. There's a list with settings you can adjust:
- phone_protocol: Can be adjusted in order to execute the phone program of your choice like Skype. Example value "tel:" or "callto:"
- accountIcons_colorStyle: possible values are "grey" or "color"
- tag_adxFrequency_Show: defines which frequency levels are shown by default (e.g. "high,medium")
- map_href: Defines URL for map application, e.g. "http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=" for Bing Maps or "http://maps.google.com/maps?q=" for Google Maps
- map_geo_href: Defines URL for geo information (based on latitude and longitude)
- debugMode: can be enabled for developing/debugging purposes
URL parameters cover most settings you can directly adjust on your adx web site. Example in order to show contact details by default: http://elektronengehirn.net/addressbook/addressbook.xml?showdetails=1
This is handy in order to bookmark adx with your needed settings:
- Adjust settings in your adx web site
- Clicking on "Save" in your adx web site results in a reload with all URL parameters
- Now you can bookmark adx with your settings in URL parameters
Example with all URL parameters: http://elektronengehirn.net/addressbook/addressbook.xml?showdetails=1&showheader=1&tagfilter=Musician&searchfilter=mi&frequencyhigh=1&frequencymedium=1&frequencylow=1&fontsize=1.1em